09 July 2007

Cat's Dinner

Our cat used to be the most useless hunter in the neighbourhood. However since we moved to the country he has developed his skills and now regularly brings home birds and mice.

I am not keen on the bird killing. I have a fear of flapping wings, so when he brings home half dead birds I scream the house down. I have passed this fear onto my youngest daughter. One time the cat brought in a living robin, which decided to fly around the dinning room. In a panic I phoned my Dad to come and rescue me (or should that have been the bird). He abandoned his coffee and jumped into the car to come over. I think the screaming grandchild helped to convince him of the urgency of the situation.

This Saturday Charlie, CS and CE had just relocated to the dinning room for some juice when I heard panicked squeaks outside. The cat was playing with a large mouse or small rat. I closed the door and the catflap. I did consider rescuing the poor rodent but having seen it I felt it was best to let the cat finish what he started. The three children found all this very interesting. "Just like animal TV!" (nature programmes I think)

Charlie was later collected by his father. The most exciting thing he had done: seen the cat with the mouse. "What happens to the mouse now?"asked Charlie's father. "It gets eaten by the cat."CS informed him. "I guess the cat won't want to eat his dinner in that case." replied Charlie's father. "Well, that's his problem, isn't it?"said CS.

2 comments:

Dutchnic said...

Oh my! Don't you love it when they bring you a present...

Freddie said...

He brought a slug in yesterday. I am not sure if we should be proud of him for that. Not much sport hunting a slug.