27 April 2007

School

Next year CS needs to go to primary school. She will only be five years old. I have no idea how the school system works. I went to school in Germany and then to public school when we moved back to the UK. I should explain that public school means private school.
I understand that parents now have the choice of where to send their child. Great how do you choose? There are reports with scores but these are all pretty much the same round here. I have to say I don't even know if you have to put the child's name on a waiting list. My friend K is a teacher in Berkshire. There you have to put the child's name down before they are four. Is it the same in Oxfordshire?
Well my mission for the coming few days (weeks?) is to find out go about choosing a school. The girls in the last house of our close recommend Ladygrove school. Their mother is teacher at the school for the reception class (the five year olds).
I will hopefully be able to have an update on choosing schools soon.

6 comments:

Dutchnic said...

What do you mean when you say public school means private school?

Freddie said...

@Nic: Well in the UK there are state schools and public schools. The best definition I could find for public school is as follows:
The term "public" (first adopted by Eton College) refers to the fact that the school is open to the paying public, as opposed to a religious school, which was open only to members of a certain church. It also distinguished it from a private education at home (usually only practical for the very wealthy who could afford tutors).

This was the best definition I could find but it is not wholly true any more as religious schools (if they are state run) are no longer exclusive to one faith.

State schools are funded by the state they have to follow a set curriculum, have teachers who are trained to a standard required by the government and are inspected to make sure they aren't failing in any of these.
Public schools can also be called independent, fee paying or private. They do not have to follow the government set curriculum (most do), their teachers do not need to be qualified (most are).

At my school the teaching was more in line with that in continental Europe. We did baccalaureate as opposed to A-levels.

Anonymous said...

It was a lot easier for me when I grew up: I basically went to the school that would take me... :-)

Anonymous said...

Tricky. My cousins in Chester are going to a state school. They chose not to go to public (boarding) school because this state school was apparently better than the public schools in the surroundings.
But anyway, you'll find something I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Well, we'll get a beautiful house in aprox a year or so, or anyhow, a totally new home at least, with a back garden that will end at a small path, from where is is almost 91 steps to the state-public school, with afterschool activities and so on. But Ilse wants to bring them to a school where you need a bicycle tot go to (5 min) or - in fall and winter a car (15 min).
We still have another half year to quarrel...

Dutchnic said...

Interesting, thanks for explaining!