14 April 2007

Pots and Pans


A couple of days ago when we arrived back home I was wondering why there was a big plastic bag on my stove. I wouldn't have put a plastic bag on my stove; would I? In it was a new pan. No note or anything
There are few people with the key to the door who will mysteriously break in and leave a pan. I called my mother and yes she had left it. "Well you know how you always strain your potatoes into a colander?" "Yes, Mother I am aware that I have not mastered the required technique for
straining potatoes. How have you managed to live with the shame?""Oh, I haven't told your grandmother, so don't worry. But this pan has a special lid you can strain through. I bought one for A (sister-in-law) too she is just as inept with potatoes as you."
The new pan has been tested and it does work. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is 'straining potatoes'?

Freddie said...

@Mink: I believe the Dutch word is afgieten.

Anonymous said...

That is indeed correct, although in Hart-Davis, it is also quoted as euphemism, basically meaning the same as "de prei uitwringen". 'To strain' can also mean exertion, but let's not go there...