17 April 2007

Preschool

All children in Britain once they are three years of age have right to a government funded place at preschool. There are as always certain provisos. But essentially five sessions a week are funded (a session being 2.5 hours). Preschool is very similar to Kindergarten in Germany. Mostly playing with some indoctrination - sorry teaching.
It was CE's first day at preschool yesterday. She is not three yet but the school CS goes to offers places from the age of two, provided you pay. She has been very excited about going. CS goes and all the other big girls go too. Now that she can go she is big too. "I am not a baby, I go to preschool."
CE chose which clothes to wear the night before. She helped to pack her extremely pink rucksack all ready for the next day. She was a little taken aback when CS was not in her group. But with the help of her trusted bunny she was left behind. No tears or tantrums, so slightly guilt ridden I went home.
Two and a half hours later I picked them both up. CE told me all about what she had done. There had been songs, milk (cold not warm), bread and butter, play dough, cars in the garden, a blue potty and tomorrow she would go again. I explained that as she was not three yet should would only go twice a week. Then CE told me that was good because she had cried for her Mummy the whole time she was there. "When did you cry CE? I didn't see you cry. Mummy I didn't see her cry when did she cry." "The whole time""You did not""I did""You did not cry I didn't see you.""I did" and so it carried on.
I think that she did like. I checked with the teacher if she had been all right. The teacher said she had been very shy but other than that fine. Also the fact that today when we dropped CS CE was about to put her things on her peg makes me suspect at someone is fibbing about crying all day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha. Well, the most important is off course that she liked it. An extremely pink rucksack LOL. Did you wear sunglasses?

I remember my little cousin going to preschool in Engeland. As he is from Quebec he only spoke French. During 8 months he did not say a word, he hid under the table and cried. And then..after 8 months he started chatting away like a native.
Funny!