24 September 2007

Preparations

Tomorrow is CS's 4th birthday. This means that I will be busy this evening blowing up balloons and wrapping presents. I hope she will like her presents.

I have foolishly agreed to her having a birthday party. We will have potentially 8 girls aged between 2 and 5 years here on Saturday. I must be mad. I can't even think of party games or the rules. My mother is no help. My birthday parties consisted of 5 other girls and cake bought at the patisserie (my mother does not do baking. Gasps of horror of the German mothers in our town "Ach die armen Kleinen." "Wie kann das denn?") copious amounts of sweets and crisps. My mother never organised games, we were herded into the garden and told to amuse ourselves. This wasn't too difficult as the garden was huge and we had swings that were standard issue for a respectable playground. My father would then come home from work to take everyone home (normally via Eis Cafe Venezia). There was usually a fight for who got to sit in the boot of his estate.

I do not remember any negative feedback and nor does my mother. Will this free form arrangement for parties be enough though in the noughties (as in 2007, could call it 00's but that looks ttoo much like loo)? And what if it rains? So I guess I'll have to google party games. I hope the suggestions will be suitable for the under fives.

BTW I will be baking cake and I need to find Nic's recipe for apple pie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all: congratulations!! What you can do of course is, for example, 'koekhappen' or 'spijkerpoepen' or 'ezeltjestrik' or 'bliklopen' Some old Dutch games...

Dutchnic said...

It's still on my blog.
Don't worry. Birthday parties are way overrated and often a cause of way too much stress for the mothers. There's nothing wrong with eating cake and letting them play. And maybe a little pin the donkey...