21 September 2007

Insurance

When I took my driving license at 17 I thought great, I have saved all my pocket money, birthday bonuses and my earnings (well you know holiday jobs, so lousy wages for mostly dull and repetitive work) I'll buy a little motor. And so I went out and bought my little Renault 5 Campus. It had a tiny engine and managed about 60mph downhill. I loved her. Insurance was steep. Much more than I expected. I wasn't worried I had no other commitments, so the money could be spent on the car and its insurance.

I am now almost 17 years older than I was then. I have many years and miles of claim free and blame free motoring (please may it continue in this way for a long time). There are myths and legends that when you reach 25 your insurance will go down. I have just renewed my insurance for another year. It is in fact the same amount I paid 17 years ago. Yes, in real terms it will have gone down (inflation and I now drive a Mondeo). I know it is not a fair comparison but nevertheless I do feel up out.

No comments: