21 May 2007

Booster Shots

My oldest daughter had to have her "preschool immunisations and assessment". I thought this a trifle early as she won't be going to school till September 2008 but as they say "in for a penny in for a pound". Also the Surgery had sent me a reminder 3 times already. After studying the information provided ("Pre-school Immunisation - a guid to vaccinations for 3 to 5 year olds") I booked the appointment. I was surprised to learn that first CS had to see the GP (general practioner -doctor to you and me) and then the nurse for the actual booster.

We arrived on time for our 3pm appointment at 2.55 pm. After waiting for 35 minutes we were finally allowed in to see the GP. The little yoasties are not interested in Women's magazines and as there were no toys in the waiting room or suitable children's books it was a long 35 min. The girls did have me read all the information leaflets to them. There are now several people in our little town who now know more than they wanted to about bladder weakness. Luckily we were called in before I had to read the leaflet "about the people kissing" or "Chlamydia".

The GP weighted and measured CS. CS and the GP discussed shoes, the difficulty of finding the right ones and explaining about CE's shoes. After less than 5 min we were free to wait for the nurse. After another 10min and leaflet on the benefits of breastfeeding we got to see the nurse. Immunisations were had; CS was "awfully brave actually" (her words). We left after a quick explanation to CE that if it says 'Staff only' you can't just walk in at 4.05 pm.

All in all a visit that could have been carried out by one member of the medical profession (I do not know why the person who studied for 6 years had to measure and weigh her when the nurse could have done this just as well). I very much felt that this is one hour of my life I will never see again.

No comments: