09 March 2009

Infectious

In our little town there is a group of very strict Christian. No TV, no internet, girls wear long skirts or dresses and cover their hair. Boys and girls do not mix after a certain age. (presumably there is an age at which they are allowed to mix again, otherwise there would be no new children ;-) )

At pre-school we have three children who belong to this group. One of their rules is that they must not eat with members outside their church. We have snack time. Most under 5's can't go more than a couple of hours without food. So we have milk, bread and fruit (provided they are not allergic of course).

When snack time came round today I had to place our three Christian children at a separate table. Two other boys wanted to sit with them. They are friends and there was space at the table. I had to tell them to sit somewhere else. "Why? Why can't I sit with them? Have they been naughty?" asked J. "Are they infectious? Mummy is a nurse and she says you shouldn't sit with infectious people. Are they ill?" asked B.

Very good questions I thought. And explaining to them that is was due to their religion did not work. "What like S. not eating meat because she is Mussels? But she sits with us." Quick think - mussles?? oh Muslim. I had to admit that I didn't know the ins and outs of it. "Well I hope it isn't catching, this religious." stated B clearly not wanting to let go of the illness theory.

It's a shame that sometimes religion can isolate people.

3 comments:

Marit said...

That really is strict! I recognize the skirts and stuff, but didn't know there were groups that wouldn't eat together with others.... Do the schools in your area take that into consideration as well as you do?

Dutchnic said...

Wow, that IS strict! Poor kids, I bet they don't understand it yet either. And I guess I didn't know there were Christian religions that had to cover their hair, too.
Sounds like you handled the situation respectfully, though.

Freddie said...

@Dutchnic: as I understand it they are similar in their beliefs to the Pennsylvania Dutch where the women also cover their hair. It is also considered vain to wear make up and jewellery other than a watch and wedding ring.

@Elise: I am not sure about schools that are Catholic or Church of England but non denominational state schools need to cater for their pupils religious needs ie Kosher food.