26 August 2007

Purple Carrots



At our local farm shop they were selling purple carrots. I had heard of purple carrots but never eaten them before, so we bought them. They taste just like normal carrots and are in fact orange on the inside. However before you rush out to buy purple carrots beware of two things:
  1. It confuses the family no end, there was even refusal to try prurple carrot but then I told Mr Yoastie to stop being childish and just eat them
  2. The colour that makes the carrots purple stains really badly. It took 24h to get the colour of my hands.
A quick handy recipe for carrot salad
4 carrots
50g salted peanuts
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp groundnut oil

Grate the carrots coarsely or chop into fine batons. Mix the grated carrots with the peanuts and other ingredients. Try to stop the children and husband from eating your salad. This normally doesn't work so double (or triple) the quantities.

3 comments:

Dutchnic said...

Sounds good and reminds me of some (regular) carrots that I have in my garden that I should eat.

Anonymous said...

Do you think they just paint them?

Anonymous said...

They are delicious! So sweet, love them much better than orange carros.