09 June 2007

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

I know I have the most beautiful daughters. They are blond and fair skinned and have intensely blue eyes. I sometimes think it is a good thing that they wear glasses, that way other girls will have a chance. Well I am their mother and all mothers think their own child is the prettiest. At least that is how it should be.

I spoke to my friend M to congratulate her with her daughter's third birthday. Of course there was the necessary boasting about our respective children's various achievements (think the workplace is competitive wait till you are a mother). Anyway we discussed the idea of ballet/dance class. And this is when M really shocked me; she thinks her daughter isn't pretty enough for ballet classes. At first I thought I had misheard and said something about but the dancing doesn't look pretty at this age most of the girls just stomp about. No, she thought her daughter wasn't pretty enough. I was dumbfounded, all mothers think their child is the prettiest.

I felt really sorry for the poor little girl. Your mother should be there to help you build your confidence. Your mother should not at such a young age talk you into a complex. I really hope M does not say this sort of thing with her daughter present. It is amazing what they pick up on and how this can affect them later on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hihi, my future children are the most beautiful children in the world!

No, that is a pity. But maybe the girl is more a tomboy kind of girl?

Anonymous said...

Didn't know you had to be pretty to join ballet classes. Sounds like the mum is very insecure, that's very sad, especially for the child.

Dutchnic said...

Oh my! I'm glad my mum thinks I'm pretty! I did ballet too, when I was little.

Freddie said...

@Hette: Glad to see you are getting that competitive edge already. If you can teach them two languages this will always stand you in good stead for the upperhand.

@She: I think you are right the mother is very insecure. I hope she doesn't pass this on to her daughter though. I don't prettiness is generally a requirement to join ballet class.

@Nic: I never did ballet. I didn't want to. I did Judo like my big brother. Also no musical ability at all so probably just as well I didn't try :-)